Let me get the first misconception of yoga out of the way right from the beginning. You do NOT have to be flexible to do yoga. I’m not sure how that came to be the de facto excuse, but anyone can do yoga just as they are.
Here are a few things to keep in mind before your first class:
- Please try to be 10-15 minutes early to allow yourself time to get settled, and fill out a release form if you’re attending class at Sweet Home Spun.
- Wear loose fitting clothing. A shirt and shorts are more than fine.
- If you’ve got a yoga mat that’s great. I advise against using the super squishy exercise mats though, and I have loaner mats if you need one.
- No shoes or socks on the mat.
- Please, no perfume.
- Silence your cell phone, or leave it in the car.
- Talk, mingle with friends. Building community is one of the best parts of yoga, but try to keep the noise from getting too loud.
- Have fun! There is no judgment in yoga. Nobody starts out being “good” at every pose. There’s a reason this is called a yoga practice.
If you have any questions I’m always available before, or after class. Contacting me here also works.
See you in class yogi!